Look like a dancer, feel like a dancer!
Why is dress code important?
We enforce a dress code for our dancers because:
- It allows the instructor to see a dancer’s alignment and positioning.
- Baggy clothes can hide bad habits and mistakes. An instructor needs to be able to see a dancer’s form in order to properly correct them.
- It teaches students discipline, helping with focus and energy.
- It creates unity among the dancers instead of causing a few dancer to stand out, much like a school uniform. This unified look helps to minimize distractions.
- “Dressing the part” helps dancers to feel like dancers.
Do's & Don'ts of Dance Class Wear
Celtic Ceilidh Dress Code
All dancers will wear their hair in a pony tail to every class, with the exception of ballet, for which hair must be in a bun.
Highland – Black tank (sleeveless) bodysuit and white knee-high socks. Black lycra shorts may be permitted. Preschool dancers may wear black microfiber tights instead of white knee-high socks. All Highland dancers require regulation Highland dance pumps. Angelo Luzio Highland dance ghillies are not permitted.
Irish – Black tank (sleeveless) bodysuit, black microfiber tights, and regulation Irish dance pumps. Hard shoes will be required when a certain level has been achieved, at which time the qualified instructor will let you know. Black lycra shorts may be permitted.
Tap – Black tank (sleeveless) bodysuit, caramel microfiber tights, and beige tap shoes. NOTE: Tap shoe brand and style to be discussed with instructor prior to purchasing.
Jazz – Black or navy blue tank (sleeveless) bodysuit with or without short lycra shorts. Caramel, black or ballet-pink microfiber tights are permissible. No pants, capris or t-shirts. Beige or black pull on jazz shoes will also be required. NOTE: Jazz shoe color and brand to be discussed with instructor prior to purchasing.
Stretch – Flexible dance and/or yoga wear. All soft soled dance footwear is permissible. No socks or bare feet.
Ballet – All require pink leather regulation ballet shoes. Bodysuit and tights are as follows:
- Preschool -”Ballet Pink” tank (sleeveless) bodysuit with matching tights.
- Primary – Purple (sleeveless) bodysuit with Ballet pink tights.
- Grades 1 to 4 – Navy-blue tank (sleeveless) bodysuit with Ballet pink tights.
- Grades 5 and up – Black tank (sleeveless) bodysuit with Ballet pink tights.
Character shoes and/or pointe shoes will be required for some grades. Your professional instructor will decide when to begin character and pointe work.
Lyrical – As for Ballet or Jazz.
Hip Hop – White, non-marking, indoor sneakers, plain t-shirt (no graphics or logos), and black shorts . Street-wear and outdoor sneakers are not permitted. Teacher may request long pants and/or hooded sweatshirt for some classes.
Boys – Plain white t-shirt (no graphics or logos), black shorts and the required shoes as per the dance discipline.
Adults – Work out/yoga wear: sleeveless tank, shorts or capris (no long pants) and the required shoes as per the dance discipline.